Les habitants de Kunié

There are roughly 2000 inhabitants, 95% of whom are Melanesians or Kanaks. For traditional, cultural and social reasons, these indigenous Kunie people are formed into eight tribes, each with their own ‘little chief’ and governed as a whole by a High Chief.

The island is divided rather like a cake and the Kunies live scattered around the island in their own tribal area, mainly in order to cultivate their yams. Many of them also live in the only village, Vao, where the schools (kindergarten, primary and secondary) are to be found, as well as the church, the Town Hall, a medical centre (doctor, nurses, dentist and a mid-wife), several general stores, the market, a bank and the post office.

L'île des Pins a-t-elle été habitée avant l'ère chrétienne par le peuple Lapita ou simplement visitée ? Des guerriers venant de Tonga s'y sont-ils établis ? des vestiges préhistoriques (peintures rupestres, poteries) éclairent en partie l'histoire ancienne de cette île qui demeure encore aujourd'hui assez énigmatique.

L'histoire est plus précise à partir du voyage du navigateur anglais, James Cook, au 18ème siècle. C'est lui qui en 1774 baptisa ainsi cette île en raison de ses nombreux pins colonnaires.

À partir de 1848, l'île fut évangélisée par des missionnaires protestants et catholiques. En 1872, la France créa sur la partie ouest une colonie pénitentiaire où furent déportés les insurgés de la Commune de Paris. Il reste aujourd'hui les ruines du bagne que l'on peut visiter.